From Arc of Sedgwick County Newsletter, October 6, 2014.
Threats to Targeted Case Management Services
There are several issues that are facing Targeted Case Management (TCM) Services in Kansas for our families receiving Intellectual and Developmental Disability (I/DD) services. When the state shared that they have heard our families and have assured them that they can keep their case manager, they didn’t share that they would cut the rate of Targeted Case Management to a level that will make it almost impossible for agencies to continue to provide the services.
They also didn’t share that they will bring a new system guiding those served in the Health Home Model, without disclosing that under the Health Home Model for those who receive TCM services only, the reimbursement rate is the lowest in the State’s history. We pulled our numbers for those we serve as TCM only. We average 2.5 hrs. per month of TCM services per each individual. The proposed rate would only cover 15 minutes of TCM services.
The other threat is the denials for additional case management units for individuals who require intense case management. We are told that there is an appeal process, but we still have not received the instructions or the official denial from the state so we can proceed with the appeals.
What does this mean for our families?
- Decreased time you will have with your case manager.
- Due to the higher caseloads to meet the challenges, you will face having to wait longer to get a response from your case manager, whose caseload will increase from 30 to 45 people.
- Risk of TCM agencies no longer being able to provide the service, which will limit your choices.
- You could face maneuvering through the different local and state programs alone.
- Increase in turnover rate in agencies providing case management.
- Without approving more units, you are facing having to pay out of pocket for your TCM services.
What can you do next?
- Register to vote, then VOTE!!!
How important are TCM services to you? Let your legislators know. Speak up for your rights to keep TCM Services. (ADVOCATE)